I have to give credit to Ron Ashley, the official photographer for Light of the World Charities. Ron possesses an amazing eye and talent for taking wonderfully expressive photographs. I can only wish that I possessed a similar talent.
We visited Baoco, Nicaragua for the first time the first week in December, 2013. None of us had any idea what we would see or how we would be accepted. We were welcomed with open arms and embraced for our willingness to visit and offer our help. By the end of the week we were all in love with the people and the facility. We ALL look forward to a return visit.
We provided many needed surgical interventions and offered suggestions and teaching to the employees of Hospital Jose Nieborowski.
One of the most emotionally charged and rewarding experiences was because of a patient named Esther. Esther is about 70 years old. She was born and raised near Boaco. Esther was born with a cleft lip. No one had offered to help her during her 70 years. She spent all of her life in hiding and avoiding being seen in public.
When we arrived with our General Surgeon and our Plastic Surgeon, someone at the hospital had Esther visit to see our Plastic Surgeon, Donato Viggiano of Stuart, Florida. Dr. Viggiano was more than happy to offer his skills to help Esther. She spent her life hiding because of her appearance.
After Dr. Viggiano and his team of volunteers intervened and corrected Esther's deformity she awakened smiling. After 70 years of not being able to smile, when she viewed her new appearance, she just beamed! It's always wonderful to intervene with children with cleft lips and palates who have their entire lives ahead of them, to correct the deformities that might affect their entire lives, and make a difference in how their lives my be affected.
Seeing Esther smile after her surgery made the week of cold showers, one sheet on the bed, instant coffee and way more starches at meals than even I can tolerate, and chewing the skimpy meat off of beef vertebrae, made the entire mission worthwhile. There is nothing like a smile and the joy of a being a part of helping this woman smile. I may bitch and moan about the trials and tribulations of my life. In fact, I know I do. Seeing Esther smile after her surgery and knowing I had but a small part of making a difference in her life makes my self pity seem like the petite issue it really is.
Just look at Esther's smile! After 70 years, she can! Thank you, God, or Allah, or Jaweh or whatever name you call your Supreme Being for giving me the skill, the talent, the opportunity to offer my little bit of help in making a difference in the life of Esther.


No comments:
Post a Comment